What is SCOTLAND: The Big Picture?
SCOTLAND: The Big Picture is an advocacy and communications organisation, helping to drive transformational change towards a vast network of rewilded land and sea across Scotland.
Founded by a team of professional communicators, our job is to open hearts and unlock minds. We work with a range of partners and clients to produce innovative films, books, photo-stories, presentations and education resources, all designed to inform and inspire.
Where is SCOTLAND: The Big Picture?
We are based in the Scottish Highlands – the Cairngorms National Park is our local patch – but our team of contributors work all over Scotland and sometimes beyond.
Who is SCOTLAND: The Big Picture?
We are a team of professional photographers, filmmakers, writers, designers and educators committed to informing and inspiring fresh thinking around the potential within a wilder Scotland.
Meet the team.
What is our ethos?
We are passionate people committed to inspiring positive change. We also believe in honesty, transparency and respect. We believe that wild nature enriches people’s lives and that rewilding presents Scotland with a huge opportunity, but we also understand that others may have a different perspective.
Perceiving the Scottish landscape differently and seeing wild nature as not only an essential element of life, but as a symbol of a progressive and prosperous society, might not be an easy shift in thinking for some. Rewilding then, is as much a philosophical shift in perceptions and attitudes as it is a physical process.
We are committed to communicating our vision for a wilder Scotland but we will do so within a respectful dialogue that recognises different people's belief systems.
How are we funded?
As a Company Limited by Guarantee constituted as a social enterprise, we have no shareholders and any financial surplus is reinvested in our advocacy and communications work. Part of our income is derived from commissions and product sales, but we also rely on the support of individuals and organisations who share our vision.
What is our vision?
The creation of a vast network of rewilded land and sea across Scotland, where wildlife and communities can flourish.
Over time, the ability of Scotland’s land and sea to sustain life has been diminished. We believe that improved ecological understanding will allow us to see new opportunities in a landscape where:
- Wild forests are expanding; improving soil quality, water absorption and climate regulation, whilst allowing animals greater freedom to roam.
- Rivers lined by alder and willow are allowed to meander as they want collecting natural debris that creates pools for salmon and trout, while enriching the water for insects and bird life.
- A greater diversity and abundance of wildlife is thriving, including key species such as beaver and lynx.
- Natural processes are valued, understood and functioning efficiently to shape significant parts of our landscape, providing tangible benefits to a wide range of people.
- Extensive areas of peatland have been repaired to store more carbon, purify more water and mitigate flood risk and are hosting a full complement of moorland species, including raptors.
- At sea, a wider network of Marine Protected Areas is established and a healthier marine environment is supporting a greater number of indicator species such as whales and dolphins.
- Vibrant communities are thriving in a nature-based economy that integrates their economic and social needs with the long-term restoration of species and habitats.